“Best Migration Tool” Saves UMassMed Time & Money
DobiMigrate successfully completed the UMMS migration on time and on budget while greatly exceeding customer expectations. Overcoming external obstacles, tight timelines, and limited outage windows, DobiMigrate delivered a significant reduction in level of effort for the customer and project team, an unprecedented level of customer satisfaction and confidence, and increased ROI. Now, UMMS can focus on what it does best—advancing the health and well-being of the people of Massachusetts.
- 839TB of multiprotocol data
- 240 million files
- Consolidation from 14 storage controllers to 4
- SMB/NFS in two migration windows completed in less than six hours of scan time
Overview of Case Study
Globally recognized for its groundbreaking biomedical research, University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) serves as the only public medical school in the Commonwealth. Pursuing continued excellence in this area mandated a new highperformance NAS storage solution. However, once UMMS acquired the new solution, migrating from their large, high file count source soon proved too complex to undertake internally. UMMS needed a reliable migration partner, stat.
Migration Remedy Needed
UMMS began the search for a migration solution featuring three key ingredients:
- Short outage times. Finding downtime windows between dozens of departments was nearly impossible—and the longer the outage window, the longer the project would take.
- Completion within weeks, not months or years. A fast completion time would maximize ROI on the new NAS hardware.
- Data validation. UMMS required complete metadata and content verification with an audit trail.
DobiMigrate: The Clear Choice
After several migration tools were tested, the DobiMigrate NAS solution emerged as the tool of choice with its eight-hour cutover window and built-in automation. DobiMigrate managed 1,200 individual migration paths with ease and was able to realize 26K ops per second and 5GB/10GB line rates. Exponentially faster than legacy migration tools, DobiMigrate was able to migrate hundreds of millions of files in just six hours of scan time. The closest challenger was a legacy tool that required 40 hours for migration and offered little automation.