DobiMigrate Provides Invaluable Insight to Large Not-for-Profit Healthcare System
Leading not-for-profit healthcare system
Tampa Bay and Central Florida Region
The customer was facing a long CAS-to-NAS migration
- DobiMigrate for CAS-to-NAS migration
- EMC Centera® to EMC Isilon® migration
- Complete insight in to data
- Fast and accurate migration
- No disruption to business
The featured customer is a leading not-for-profit healthcare system in the Tampa Bay and Central Florida regions that connects individuals and families to a wide range of services at thirteen hospitals and hundreds of other locations, including thirteen imaging centers. Inpatient and outpatient services include acute care, primary care, imaging, laboratory, behavioral health, home care, and wellness. Over the past fifteen years, the customer has become a leading, high-quality healthcare provider, and they have utilized leading technology in every aspect of their business.
Storage platform migrations in the healthcare industry have historically been painful, and the Information Technology team at the healthcare system was finding itself victim to an urgent, long, and tedious migration. The customer needed to migrate the data of several critical applications, including Siemens EDM, Philips Xcelera, and Philips Witt, from an EMC Centera® that was quickly nearing capacity to another storage platform. The maintenance on this Centera was also reaching the end of its life, so the team was faced with a very important business decision on how to move forward with this project. The team ultimately wanted to move these applications from the nearing-capacity Centera to an EMC Isilon®. This new storage platform would provide the flexibility that they needed for these applications and anticipated business expansion.
The healthcare system’s IT team typically used generic, industry-standard tools for its migrations, and the team estimated that this project had the potential to take from 12 months to 18 months to complete the migration themselves.
The customer turned to its trusted technology partner, EMC, to provide a solution that would accurately and rapidly migrate all of the data from the Centera to a new Isilon. EMC enlisted the assistance and powerful functionality of DobiMigrate to assess, migrate, and validate and delete the data.
After the software was deployed, DobiMigrate enabled the team to easily:
- Assess – The customer was able to do a complete assessment on the Centera. DobiMigrate gave the team their first snapshot in to exactly what and how much was stored on the Centera. These powerful reporting insights armed the team with the information that they needed to determine what applications and how much data needed to be migrated to the new, more flexible Isilon platform.
- Migrate – The IT team analyzed the top-down reporting from the assessment phase and determined that they needed to migrate 57 Terabytes of data of several applications from the Centera to an Isilon.
- Validate and Delete – After all of the data from the applications, primarily from the Philips EDM application, was migrated from the source platform to the target Isilon environment, the team utilized DobiMigrate to delete data from the source platform.
Metrics for Success
It was very important to the customer that the migration from the Centera to the new Isilon be completed quickly. The 57 Terabyte migration using DobiMigrate was 10 times faster than the customer’s IT team originally projected using standard tools. The Siemens EDM application—which occupied about 50% of the space on the Centera—took less than one month to migrate to the new platform. In addition to this migration being extremely fast, it was also completely accurate and there was no disruption to business operations.
The customer now has a more flexible environment to meet the needs of workflow across departments, imaging centers and multi-specialty group practices. The new storage platform allows them to deliver a more powerful, unified workspace for its specialty doctors and clinicians. It also enhances their ability to collaborate within and outside their care setting on complicated imaging cases.
The IT Team benefitted from this fast and accurate migration by having invaluable insights in to their storage environment, saving an incredible amount of time and budget dollars, and by utilizing its staff on other critical business-oriented activities.