As Global Population Grows and Energy Use is Rising, More People Gain Access to Modern Energy
Global group of energy and petrochemicals companies
Centera® was nearing the end of its maintenance life
DobiMigrate: Migrate data from aging Centera to a new one
- No disruption to business
- Able to migrate application quickly and accurately
This featured customer is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. The company’s goal is to engage efficiently and responsibly in oil, gas and other selected businesses and participate in the development of energy sources. Energy use around the world is rising, as global population grows and more people gain access to modern energy.
The customer’s IT group, based in Texas, needed to refresh a Centera® that was at the end of its maintenance life. The aging Centera had over 121 million objects—12 Terabytes of data—on its SAP® application. The customer used the enterprise software, SAP, to manage its business operations and customer relations, so it was a critical application to move to a new Centera without any disruption.
The oil and gas organization engaged with its technology partner, EMC, to determine the most reliable and cost effective plan of action for their project. EMC enlisted Datadobi and the powerful functionality of its industry-leading platform migration software, DobiMigrate, for this Centera to Centera transition.
DobiMigrate was able to bring automation, advanced engineering, and embedded intelligence to this project:
- Assessment – The customer needed to do an assessment on the old Centera cluster to determine how much data was going to be migrated.
- Analysis – After the assessment, the customer reviewed the data and confirmed that all of the data needed to be migrated to a new Centera.
- Migration – After the analysis and assessment, it was determined that 12 Terabytes of data from the SAP application needed to be migrated to another Centera.
Metrics for Success
The migration was completed quickly, accurately, and within the estimated timeframe.
DobiMigrate allowed this customer and its technology partner to run the migration project as transparently and non-intrusively as possible to on-going business operations. The customer was able to maintain control and have complete visibility into all phases of the migration as it transitioned from an aging Centera to a new one.